No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know
the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always
have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a
wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working
for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a
Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse
work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as
managers who will encourage career development and growth
Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
Professional Engineer License (PE)
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Technical & non-technical training opportunities
Mentorship & Training Opportunities
Opportunity to Lead, Grow, and Inspire a Dynamic Team
In this role, you can also expect to gain
Interface with local clients
Electrical Power Calculations
Interactions with other disciplines(Substation,
Protection & Controls, and Civil Structural)
We are seeking a Substation Engineer who will work as a member
of a dynamic team within our Commercial Energy Services Operation
organization; specifically our Power Delivery division: an
established group of electric utility engineering consultants that
solve challenging substation engineering problems for our utility
clients Nation-wide. The Substation Engineer will work under the
direct supervision of an experienced engineer and is expected to
work independently on his/her assignments. Responsibilities:
In this role the qualified individual will be expected to:
- Perform Physical Electrical, design on medium to large scale
utility substation engineering projects with higher
- Perform advanced engineering studies and calculations.
- Perform low complexity engineering studies or assist senior
engineer with advanced engineering studies.
- Prepare project deliverables including but not limited to
engineered drawings, technical reports, correspondence and
miscellaneous project documentation.
- Collaborate with other engineering disciplines as required.
Should be able to assess the impacts of design changes on other
disciplines to pick the best solution. Foster constructive
communication between disciplines.
- Assume the role of technical lead on smaller projects with
limited guidance or on medium sized projects with guidance.
- Perform Quality Control reviews on smaller projects
independently or on medium sized projects with limited guidance or
on portions of larger projects with guidance.
- Prepare proposals for smaller projects under the direction of
project engineers. Provide drawing counts and manhour estimates for
small to medium sized projects. Develop scopes of work for small to
medium sized projects.
- Be involved in limited client interaction with a senior,
project or lead project engineer. · Develop leadership skills in
preparation for future roles on the team.
- Develop and provide advanced technical presentations to the
team to assist with staff technical development. Support the
training and mentorship of junior and less experienced staff.
- Assist the team with the development of processes and
procedures to improve project execution efficiency.
- Maintain accurate records and files and a high level of
- Support Leidos’ goals and represent the company positively and
· B.S. or M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from an
· 2-4 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation
engineering with a B.S. degree
· 2 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation
engineering with a M.S. degree
· Comprehensive understanding of the utility grid (power
generation, transmission and distribution) system
· Comprehensive understanding of the function and application of
major substation electrical and control house equipment
· Strong competence in applying basic theories and principles
involved in substation engineering · Expertise in researching
engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making
sound recommendations and preparing and presenting
· Keen focus on quality and an appreciation for high quality
deliverables. Understanding of the importance of quality and
quality control in our industry.
· Strong attention to details
· Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines under high pressure
· Team player who can work effectively in team environment with
an ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various
socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds · Self-starter who
can work unsupervised
· Ability to multitask on assignments while maintaining
· Proactive communication with strong written and oral
· Strong organizational skills
· High level of computer competency
· Strong proficiency with using Windows-based software programs
· Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) preferred
· Active membership in national engineering societies (IEEE,
· Proficiency with Bentley ProjectWise data management
Travel Requirements: Frequent travel to and from job sites may
be required on a project-by-project basis.
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider.
Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services
Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as
reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned
utilities, more than 160
municipals/cooperatives, as well as a
growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and
private developers. In addition to providing engineering and
project management services, Leidos works with an established group
of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful
Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is
confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering
News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms,
and Top 10 Power Firms
External Referral Bonus:
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours: