Family Preservation Project Staff Attorney
Company: MetroWest Legal Services
Posted on: August 7, 2022
FAMILY PRESERVATION STAFF ATTORNEY JOB OPENINGMetroWest Legal
Services aims to provide legal advocacy to protect and advance the
rights of the poor, elderly, disabled and other disenfranchised
people and to assist them in obtaining legal, social and economic
justice. MWLS is an exciting workplace with dedicated social
justice advocates-join us!Responsibilities include:
- Launch a new pilot project to provide civil legal aid to
families at risk of removal and separation by Department of
Children and Families (DCF).
- Represent clients in child welfare-related civil legal matters
to prevent out-of-home placement of children or reunify children
with their families, thereby increasing client choice, safety, and
- Educate clients about their legal options so they can be
empowered to make their own informed decisions, with the goal of
minimizing the risk of outcomes that jeopardize child safety and
- Liaison with Department of Children and Families (DCF),
schools, community partners, and mental health providers to provide
wrap around services to stabilize families in crisis.
- Advocate for clients and their children in collateral legal
matters such as housing, benefits, special education, and
- Performs additional duties as
- Admitted to Massachusetts bar (or a bar of another state
- Two plus years experience in providing legal services
preferred; with a focus on representing survivors of domestic
violence, individuals with substance use disorders, or individuals
with mental health diagnosis preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize appropriate, non-judgmental
communication techniques when responding to clients that
illustrates sensitivity to their experiences and needs. Prior
experience interviewing and counseling survivors of trauma or
individuals with mental health conditions preferred.
- Ability to work and advocate in a collaborative style with
diverse ethnic, cultural, linguistic, and socio-economic groups, as
well as diversity based on ability/disability, sexual orientation
- Spoken fluency in a second language (Spanish or Portuguese)
preferred. Language competencies will be tested during the
- Excellent writing and oral advocacy skills. Strong
organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Fully vaccinated pursuant to Center for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC) guidelines.
- Sense of humor and willingness to be a team player. An
applicant who is admitted to the bar of another state must be
eligible to practice as a foreign lawyer under SJC Rule 3.04 and
become a member of the Mass. bar within 2 years.
Salary/Benefits: Salary is based on a union scale with a base wage
of $60,000 plus experience credit if applicable. Benefits package
include generous PTO leave, 100% employer paid medical, dental, and
vision insurance, employer match on retirement contributions,
student loan repayment assistance program for eligible attorneys
and extensive professional development opportunities.
To Apply: Email a cover letter addressing your interest and
experience in poverty/public interest law, resume, and writing
sample to MetroWest Legal Services, at . Please send and attach
PDFs only. Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as
applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Keywords: MetroWest Legal Services, Framingham , Family Preservation Project Staff Attorney, Legal , Framingham, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!